Galileo Mining begins drilling at Norseman

Galileo Mining (ASX:GAL) has launched a reverse circulation (RC) drilling campaign to test a number of key prospects at its Norseman Project in Western Australia.

Located south of Kalgoorlie near the town of Norseman, the wholly owned 278km-square project is prospective for palladium, platinum, nickel, copper, cobalt and rhodium mineralisation.

In May 2022, Galileo undertook a drilling program at Norseman’s Callisto prospect, focusing on a mineralised sulphide unit at the base of an ultramafic sill. The target was found to be rich in palladium, platinum, copper and nickel mineralisation, with one of the six holes — NRC266 — returning 33m at 2.05 grams per tonne (g/t) 4E; that is, 1.64 g/t palladium, 0.28 g/t platinum, 0.09 g/t gold and 0.05 g/t rhodium.

Galileo’s new 4,000m program will focus on “highly prospective rocks” along strike from the Castillo discovery. The campaign is expected to take a month to complete, with assay results anticipated in October.

“This Norseman Project area has never been systematically explored for nickel and palladium, and it is a great opportunity to be the first company to drill within these new prospective areas,” Managing Director Brad Underwood says.

We have significantly advanced our understanding of the geology since we made the Callisto nickel and palladium discovery

“We have significantly advanced our understanding of the geology since we made the Callisto nickel and palladium discovery, and we are now beginning the focused exploration of those prospects we believe have the strongest potential for further success.”

Drilling activities will also include follow-up work at the Jimberlana North and Jimberlana South prospects, where previous drilling intercepted 11m at 0.18% copper, 0.13% nickel and 0.03% cobalt, including 1m at 0.52% copper, 0.44% nickel and 0.08% cobalt.

In addition to Norseman, Galileo owns a 67% stake in the Fraser Range Project of which privately owned Creasy Group holds the remaining 33% interest.

Write to Oliver Gray at

Images: Galileo Mining
Author Image
Written By Oliver Gray
Originally from Perth, Oliver has a keen interest long-form journalism. He has written for a number of publications and was most recently Contributing Editor of The Market Herald’s opinion section, Art of the Essay.