Perenti secures contract with IGO for electrification study at Cosmos Nickel Project in WA

Mining services provider Perenti (ASX:PRN) and automation company ABB (SIX:ABBN) have been awarded an inaugural contract to undertake an electrification study at IGO’s (ASX:IGO) Cosmos Nickel Project in Western Australia.

In November 2022, Perenti signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with ABB to collaborate and develop a service offering that combines Perenti’s mining expertise and technical capability with ABB’s electrical and technological expertise.

The study will see experts from both parties work with IGO to provide a pathway for the optimum design of mine electrification at Cosmos. Considerations for the study will include mine design optimisation for electric operations, production and operating philosophy, fleet selection, power distribution and electrical infrastructure design.

Other considerations include electrification systems and battery management, ESG and safety impact analysis, and cost modelling of capex and opex.

Perenti reports the electrification study is a ‘significant’ step in IGO’s commitment to continuously improving its sustainability performance by trialling new technologies and decarbonising its operations, which will help to create a green energy future.

Commenting on the contract, Perenti Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director Mark Norwell says: “As one of the world’s largest contract miners, we recognise that our business is extremely well placed to play a critical role in helping the world transition to a more sustainable future.

As released last week, Perenti has identified 3 key areas which we consider to be sustainability imperatives. This award and subsequent successful delivery of this study will not only demonstrate our commitment towards a more sustainable future by accelerating decarbonisation, it also strengthens our collaboration with ABB and IGO.

This is an example of leveraging our deep mining expertise in contract mining … to establish sustainability-linked service offerings, upon which we intend to build into the future”

This is an example of leveraging our deep mining expertise in contract mining, combined with our capability in Idoba and leading partners, to establish sustainability-linked service offerings, upon which we intend to build into the future.”

Also commenting, ABB Vice President and Business Line Manager Max Luedtke congratulated IGO on taking on such an ‘ambitious’ project, which, combined with its renewable power project, will ‘largely’ decarbonise Cosmos.

“The progress between ABB and Perenti is advancing every day, and this study is an ideal opportunity to advance our efforts and collectively drive towards providing electric solutions that effectively decarbonise the mining industry.

At ABB, we take pride in sharing our eMine approach for electrification and automation, spanning from pit to port, through such effective collaborations within the industry.”

IGO Head of Technical Services Chris Carr also commented on the contract, stating IGO believes in a green energy future that extends to its underground mining operations. He says electrifying the company’s fleets will create a safer, greener, and more productive operation.

“We are excited about this future and our collaboration with Perenti and ABB to make this a reality.”

Perenti is an ASX-listed mining services provider that specialises in surface and underground mining, along with mining support services. The company also owns Idoba, a technology-informed service and products business that provides end-to-end digital, technology, and consulting services.

ABB is a Swedish-Swiss multinational that specialises in connecting software to its electrification, robotics, automation, and motion portfolio to push the boundaries of technology.

IGO is an ASX-listed miner focused on its Nova, Forrestania, and Cosmos nickel operations in Western Australia. The company also holds a 51% stake in the Greenbushes Lithium Mine, with the remaining 49% held by Tianqi Lithium (SHE:00246).

Write to Harry Mulholland at Mining.com.au

Images: Perenti Ltd
Written By Harry Mulholland
Hailing from the Central Coast region of NSW, Harry is a passionate journalist with a background in print, radio and ESG news. When not bashing away on his keyboard, he can be found brewing a coffee or playing with his dog.