Leo Lithium Goulamina

Leo Lithium uncovers ‘thick, high-grade’ spodumene at Goulamina Project, Mali

Leo Lithium (ASX:LLL) reports resource drilling has revealed ‘thick’, ‘high-grade’ spodumene intercepts at the Goulamina Lithium Project located in Mali.

The company says this spodumene mineralisation was discovered through planned resource drilling at the Danaya Domain, and the aim of the 2022 resource drilling program aimed to increase the confidence level in this part of the orebody and convert a ‘significant’ amount of inferred resources into the indicated resource category.

An additional objective was increasing the overall resource base at Danaya, and as of October 28, Leo reports 77% of the reverse circulation (RC) assays have been received (2,426 assays from a total of 3,152 samples), and diamond core is being processed and results will be announced when they become available.

Leo reports 54 RC holes for 8,869m and 11 diamond holes for 2,236m as well as 6 RC holes with diamond tails for 1,189m have been completed at Danaya, and the drilling program has infilled previous drilling to a nominal section spacing of 50m, with this drilling program beginning March.

It also says drilling has identified multiple north-south striking spodumene pegmatites at Danaya, and the mineralisation is open at depth and along strike, which will be targeted in future drilling campaigns.

Most holes intersected multiple spodumene pegmatites, and the company notes GMRC527 which intersected 44m @ 1.2% Li2O from 60m, 64m @ 1.76% Li2O from 111m and 62m @ 1.32% Li2O from 200m.

Other intersections greater than 60m downhole width include 72m @ 1.77% Li2O from 71m including 18m @ 2.93% Li2O in GMRC520, 118m @ 1.53% Li2O from 48m in GMRC525, and 69m @ 1.67% Li2O from 89m.

Not only have some very wide pegmatite zones been intersected, but the weighted average grade of all assayed intercepts received to date is higher than the current Danaya resource grade”

Leo Lithium Managing Director Simon Hay said these interim results from the Danaya drilling program have exceeded the company’s expectations.

“Not only have some very wide pegmatite zones been intersected, but the weighted average grade of all assayed intercepts received to date is higher than the current Danaya resource grade (1.57% Li2O versus 1.35% Li2O).

The Perth based geology team is presently incorporating the new data into the geological interpretation in preparation for a new mineral resource estimate (MRE) for the Danaya Domain to be released by the end of December 2022.”

Leo says around 70% of the observed spodumene pegmatite mineralisation within the Danaya Domain is coarse to very coarse grained, and the remaining 30% is medium to fine grained, and the structural and geological information from the drilling campaign is being used to updated the geological model to build the framework for the new resource update for Danaya.

The measured orientation of pegmatite contacts in diamond drill core suggests to the company an apparent shallowing of dip to the south.

The company reports pegmatites in the southwest of the Goulamina Project are part of the Danaya resource domain, which currently makes up around 20.5% of the total 108.5 million tonne mineral resource, and the 2020 MRE for Danaya included 7,800kt @1.43% indicated Li2O and 14,500kt @ 1.30% inferred Li2O for a total of 22,300kt @ 1.35% Li2O.

Leo reports the drilling information from this campaign will assist in informing the new updated geological model for Danaya, and an updated MRE is anticipated before the end of year; and the resource drilling program for the rest of the Goulamina Project as well as a sterilisation program is continuing with one RC and 2 diamond rigs on site.

Leo Lithium is a lithium development company operating its flagship Goulamina Lithium Project in Mali in a 50-50 joint venture with Ganfeng (ASX:GLN).

Images: Leo Lithium Ltd
Written By Harry Mulholland
Hailing from the Central Coast region of NSW, Harry is a passionate journalist with a background in print, radio and ESG news. When not bashing away on his keyboard, he can be found brewing a coffee or playing with his dog.