Alice Queen Limited (ASX: AQX) has reported that the exploration diamond drilling program at Horn Island project in Queensland, which targeted the dipole-dipole induced polarisation (DDIP) chargeability anomalies, identified a broad gold zone at the Tatooine anomaly across a new priority target area measuring 800m x 600m which warrants additional follow up drilling.
- The 13-hole, 4,590 metres broad spaced diamond drilling program targeted three high priority targets of the total nine identified DDIP anomalies – Tatooine 1, Naboo 1, and Naboo 4. Large areas of the DDIP chargeability anomalies remain untested.
- Best gold intercepts from the nine broadly spaced step out diamond core holes at the Tatooine anomaly included
- 5m @ 4.4 g/t Au from 128m (20NGD097) incl. 1m @ 12.3gt Au from 128m;
- 1m @ 10.3 g/t Au from 138m (20NGDC098);
- 1m @ 11.3 g/t Au from 164m (20NGR098);
- 1m @ 12.4g/t Au from 244m (20NGD105); and
- 2m @ 3.9 g/t Au from 355m (20NGD105) incl. 1m @ 5.4 g/t Au from 355m.
- Structurally controlled gold mineralisation and coincident multi-element pathfinder enrichment patterns were identified in several Tatooine drill holes, heightening prospects for a NW extension to the resource area.
- The high-grade gold intersected at depth across the Tatooine target remains open with an apparent near surface projection.
- Extensive sulphide vein structures were observed across multiple holes in both target areas. These are considered favourable for hosting potentially significant volumes of gold mineralisation
- AQX now plans for further exploration across a broader area of the Horn Island Project.
Horn Island project
The Horn Island Project is located 17km off Queensland’s coast in the Torres Strait, just south of Papua New Guinea. The project has an inferred resource (JORC 2012) of 7.9Mt @ 1.9g/t Au for 492,000oz.
13-hole DD program
Alice Queen recently commenced a thirteen hole (totalling 4,590m) broad spaced diamond drilling program at the Horn Island Project. The drilling targeted three high-priority targets out of total nine identified DDIP anomalies – Tatooine 1, Naboo 1, and Naboo 4 anomalies. The exploration drilling was completed and funded as part of the previous joint venture with St Barbara Limited.
Although drilling across all three targets returned multiple anomalous gold intercepts, the Tatooine target area is considered most significant, warranting further priority follow up drilling.
Further work planned by the company includes
- Litho-geochemical and IRG pathfinder multi-element analysis and 3D modelling using Leapfrog Workflow which will assist with targeting and follow up work programs
- Additional follow up drilling programs for the Tatooine 1 target area
- Reviewing regional exploration programs are being which may include surface induced polarisation (IP) surveys followed by diamond drilling programs.
“These results further demonstrate that gold mineralisation across Horn Island is widespread”
Alice Queen’s Managing Director, Andrew Buxton noted: “These results further demonstrate that gold mineralisation across Horn Island is widespread. It is also encouraging to see double digit gold grades on offer at several places other than solely in and around the historic open pit. The results also underpin the success of using Induced Polarisation (IP) as a predictive tool in locating sulphide bearing vein structures on the island.
We are extremely keen to expand the roll out of more IP, particularly to the south of the historic open pit and to Southern Silicified Ridge prospect areas, and once these targets are generated, more diamond core drilling to unlock what we see as further significant exploration upside.
The Company expects to be able to update the market shortly on these plans for additional drilling at Horn Island.”
Images: Alice Queen Limited